21 Questions for Buyers to Ask Sellers
I get this question quite often, what questions should a buyer ask a seller. Here's 21 basic questions to ask:
Buyers Questions for Sellers
1. Has the house had any history of flooding, water penetration or leakage
2. Has there been any newsworthy reporting of crime or media curiosity in or on the property or directly adjacent to?
3. Was any work done in the time of the owners that required the issuance of permits by the local municipality and were they obtained and inspected and approved?
4. Are there any sex offenders within ½ mile of the property?
5. Is there any occasional, seasonal or periodic natural or manmade sequence or occurrence which might impede the buyer’s quiet enjoyment of the property including the outdoor surroundings of the property?
6. Has there ever been a radon test performed on the property? If so by whom & results of any testing. Has the property had remediation performed? If yes, by whom and when.
7. Has there ever been environmental testing performed on the property? If so by whom & results of any testing. Has the property had remediation performed? If yes, by whom and when.
8. Have there been any recorded or reported paranormal/haunting/unexplained episodes? If yes, when, what type, description and manner of activity.
9. Has the sewerage system had any malfunction, problems or issues? If yes, what type & what was done to remedy, when & by whom.
10. Has there ever been a fire or smoke loss recorded at the property? If yes, what type & what was done to remedy, when & by whom.
11. Are there any industrial or commercial businesses or activities within ½ mile of the property that may affect the buyer’s enjoyment of the property?
12. Has there been any lead inspection or remediation done on the property? If yes, by whom & when.
13. Is the property subject to any liens, legal claims or debts?
14. Is the seller aware of any smells, out gassing, environmental odors associated with the property and neighborhood that might interfere with the buyer’s enjoyment of the property?
15. Is the seller aware of any issues with the water supply to the property? Water delivery? Volume of delivery or potability of the water provided?
16. Has the property experienced power outages? If yes, when and for what reasons.
17. Has there been a history of mold issues with the property? If yes, when and for what reasons, when remedied & by whom.
18. Has there been a history of problems with the sun either direct or reflected into and onto the property?
19. Has there been a history of problems with the natural foliage & fauna & plantings or trees associated with the property or directly adjacent to the property?
20. Has there been a history of problems with water runoff from adjacent properties?
21. Has there been a home inspection during the homeowner’s occupancy? If yes, what issues were found, when & by whom.